Life is complicated and busy. Did you notice? Keeping up with the music, movies and books that fed your youthful imagination and conversations is harder than ever, but even more important. Here's the good news: there's never been more great new stuff. The challenge is to find it.

So here are my highly opinionated views on sounds, sights and words that will help you keep it fresh and real, and links to the veins where the richest motherlodes can be found.

Feed your head.
- JumpingFlashJack

Sunday, November 9, 2014

1967: The Year I Became Me

Wikipedia won't tell you what was important to me about 1967. To be sure, like the rest of the country, I was waking up to a world saturated by the Vietnam war, racial conflict and cultural foment.  The landscape of my actual life may have been Enfield Junior High School -- where I was an eighth grader -- but was really happening to me was this music.   It shaped my values, aspirations, politics and taste for the next 45 years.

As a 20 year old, I was baffled by why Big Band songs from three decades earlier still cast a spell for my Dad.  Now I know: the songs that usher you into adolescence stay with you forever.


The Rascals, Groovin' - Perfectly captured the feeling of the world that I so wanted to grow up and become a part of.



The Temptations, I'm Losing You - No more the sweet soul music of "My Girl," this was the Temps on the road to psychedelic soul. The intro is mad.



Donovan, Sunshine Superman - What was going on here?  At 13, I was just beginning to get it.



James & Bobby Purify, I'm Your Puppet - A gem from Muscle Shoals, this one was for the sensitive soul man.



The Hollies, Bus Stop - I sang made-up lyrics to this song for years.



The Left Bank, Walk Away Renee - The musical essence of eighth grade melancholy.



The Supremes, Love Is Like an Itchin' in My Heart  - The ladies, the Funk Brothers and Holland Dozier Holland never sounded so good.



Buffalo Springfield, For What It's Worth - The sound of things falling apart, worrying and enticing at the same time.


Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, More Love - Played rarely on the radio, but I wore it out on a boardwalk jukebox in Avalon.



The Standells, Dirty Water - A regional rock hit with a dangerous, bad boy hook as memorable as "Satisfaction."




No comments:

Post a Comment